"Find the Right Assisted Living. Tour Online, Save Time."

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Getting paid as caregiver for elderly parent

Getting paid as caregiver for elderly parent 3 years 5 months ago #2519

• nrichards
  • Junior Boarder
I had to quit my job so that I can take care of my mother. I\'m sure a lot of family caregivers know that caregiving is a huge responsibility. Not only does it take a lot of your time, but it also takes a lot of patience.

Since I quit my job, money is starting to be an issue. Budget is getting tighter and tighter everyday. My bills are starting to pile up. Does anyone know if the government has a program to pay for family caregivers? I\'m actually kind of guilty and embarrassed to ask about getting paid to take care of my mom. I know its part of my duty, but money is starting to be an issue. Hoping that someone can help.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Getting paid as caregiver for elderly parent 3 years 5 months ago #2520

• Liz Carter
  • Junior Boarder
There is. Medicaid will pay for family caregivers but your mom has to qualify. Check out their website :)

Re:Getting paid as caregiver for elderly parent 3 years 5 months ago #2523

• alciamend
  • Fresh Boarder
That\'s right. Medicaid will pay if your mom will qualify. I know that part of Medicaid\'s requirement is that the caregiver must be trained and certified. However, Medicaid eligibility and services may vary in each state. Here\'s a link with contact numbers for medicaid. www.cms.gov/ContactCMS/

Call them and ask if you will qualify. Hope this helps.

Re:Getting paid as caregiver for elderly parent 3 years 5 months ago #2524

I did some research on this before. I wanted to quit my job so I can take care of my mother. But unfortunately, the government programs won\'t be able to offer family caregivers enough money as an alternative to salary of a full time employee. That\'s why I decided to continue working. My mom is currently staying in a nursing home.

I want to share the things I found out which hopefully can be helpful. You have several options if you want to get paid as your mother\'s full time caregiver. If your mom is on Medicaid, she can assign you as her personal home care aid so that Medicaid can pay you. I\'m warning you though that Medicaid will only pay you a very small amount. Another option is to check benefitscheckup.org for any local or government programs that can help you with caregiving expenses.

There is also another program called Cash and Counselling. Check if your state participates in this program. The Cash & Counseling participants will give be given a budget to hire their caregiver. Here\'s their website: www.cashandcounseling.org

Hope this helps :)

Re:Getting paid as caregiver for elderly parent 3 years 5 months ago #2529

• nrichards
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks for your help. I checked the Cash and Counseling program but unfortunately, California does not participate. Too bad, can\'t qualify for this program. It\'s such a good program that will help seniors pay for caregiving costs. I am in the process of researching more about Medicaid. So far, it seems like my mom should qualify. My fingers are crossed...

Re:Getting paid as caregiver for elderly parent 3 years 5 months ago #2538

• esanders89
  • Expert Boarder
One thing I know for sure is that Medicare won\'t pay for a family caregiver. The local government might have different programs that will pay family caregivers. Have tried calling the office of local aging to find out more about getting paid as your mother\'s caregiver?
Time to create page: 18.838 seconds